Monday, July 18, 2011

Dapper Man



This was done with goache and painted on neon orange paper.

I've been thinking a lot of men's suits recently and fantasizing about being able to create really funky colorful ones (which a woman could wear and would be flattering on). Sadly, I don't know anything about sewing or clothing-making, so I resorted to painting one.

Even though I'm a woman, I'm far more obsessed with men's fashion and always wish I could wear most of the men's clothing I see. I don't just because I enjoy wearing well-fitted clothing and obviously none of it comes in my size. Although, I have to admit, I love the women's clothing that I saw in the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met (I went twice). In particular I loved the body suits/armors and jackets he created. Below are a couple of my favorites (pictures taken from the Metropolitan Museum of Art's website). I WISH I could wear this stuff...and I wish this kinda stuff was available to regular people like me.

I realized what I love about how McQueen dressed women was that he did not sexualize them or try to make them beautiful. The women who wore his clothing looked powerful and sometimes even ugly...I couldn't help but view them as a real people (as opposed to a beautiful object, to be lusted after).

I felt very emotional looking at his clothing..and incredibly sad, thinking about how he is no longer here to make anymore.







2 comments:

Bad Jones Rising said...

This is a really interesting post. I haven't seen the exhibit but good ole Alex always has a place in my heart. I totally agree that these are "powerful"....it's neat you took the experience and put it on neon orange paper. It's a nice way to  yourself, and pay tribute in a way... An homage if you will. <3

Ana Benaroya said...

Thanks, yeah that exhibit really stuck with me ever since I saw it the first time...I always loved his work but when I saw it in person it was very different. Plus, the Met did an amazing job of exhibiting it.

I'm gonna try and write longer more involved posts like this in the future...but some things warrant more writing than others! haha

And you're in New York!!! Do not miss this exhibit. It ends August 7th I believe.