Thursday, May 19, 2011

El Fanzine

This is part of a page layout I designed for El Fanzine, a Mexican publication. The article was entirely in Spanish and all I was told that it was about the street artist Space Invader. For those of you who live in NYC, you probably have noticed some of his pixelated tile-graffiti around the city...I know I have. Sooo...I felt a bit strange about making an illustration based on another artist's work. I wanted to do him justice without having my style be too prominent.

I came up with the idea of doing something abstract, brightly colored, and based on the idea of pixelation and the original game, Space Invaders. Believe it or not this is CMYK so it will print these colors!

This job was a nice break from what I usually do...I love getting to experiment in ways I normally wouldn't. It ends up informing my work and squeezing its way into my everyday vocabulary.

No comments: